Child Arrangements Orders

If you divorce or separate from your partner, you need to make arrangements for looking after your children including where the child will live, how much time they will spend with each parent, how you both will financially support your children, as well as how this responsibility is split. 


Who can apply for a child arrangement order?

We recommend mediation first as a way of keeping costs down by avoiding having to go to court. This can also keep relations amicable and cause less stress to children involved.

If you have parental responsibility for a child, then you can apply for a child arrangement order. If you don't already have parental responsibility then you will need to request this from the court  before you can apply for the arrangement order.

Child arrangement orders generally last until the child is 16 years of age and in some cases 18 years of age.

Do I Need a Child arrangements order?

It's a great idea to try and come to an agreement yourselves and put your children first by putting any feelings of animosity to one side. 

If both you and your partner agree about the arrangements for your children, you may not need any official contract. Bear in mind however, that this will mean your agreement is not legally binding. 

Our experienced team of family solicitors can help you to create the relevant paperwork. 

To make your agreement legally binding you will need to create a consent order and this will need to be done by a qualified solicitor.

What if you cannot agree with your ex partner?

A court can help you to determine the terms of the arrangement order if you think that you and your partner cannot agree. You will however, need to show that you have attended a mediation meeting to see if mediation is right for you. In cases where there's been domestic abuse or violence then it may not be necessary to seek mediation prior to a court hearing.

What can courts help with?

Courts can help you to decide who the child will live with and where the child will spend her time based on what is best for the child.

In most cases a court will encourage both parents or guardians to have contact with the child as well as considering the feelings of the child if mature enough and any effects that changes and circumstances might have on the welfare of the child. 

There may be specific education or needs for the child and these will also be considered. Bear in mind that each case is different.

Can the arrangement order be changed?

If both parents agree then they can make changes to how the child is looked after outside the terms of the order. However, if it is a case of making wholesale changes then it's a good idea to get this formally changed so that it is legally binding.

To get legal advice and determine the correct cause of action for you and your family, speak to our experienced family solicitor now.

More on Laws for Children

boy and girl peeping over a hedge

Practical legal solutions that put your children first.

parents holding a child's hand

understand your options when it comes to Child Custody after divorce or separation. 

01277 284532

“From start to finish this company provided a professional outstanding service to myself and my family at a very difficult time. The communication was consistent throughout the process from everyone involved in our case and this reflected in the positive, successful outcome we had so desperately hoped for. ” - Nikki Yianni - Family Law Client

What to Expect

Our primary concern is always the children and we take a mediation first approach.

  • Child Custody
  • Child Arrangement Orders
  • Custody Rights For Fathers
  • Custody Rights For Unmarried Couples
  • Adopting Children
  • Visitation and Access Rights

Great Fees

We offer an initial 1 hour consultation for a fixed fee of £150 + VAT

See What Customers Say

We've successfully worked on family law cases of all shapes and sizes

See our customer reviews

Over 50 Years' Experience

A team of specialists in each field, we're ready to offer advice and representation.

Free Legal Advice & Updates From Our Blog

Get legal advice on child arrangements now.